Monday, July 20, 2015

Food For Friends

I had the honor of cooking all the yummies for a friends retirement party last weekend. I made a few of my "regulars" but also added a few new ones that I wanted to share.
 A while back I had purchased some glass shot glasses at the dollar store (3 for a $) and really wanted to make something in them for this party. I found a recipe on line for a Cajun Bloody Mary that I thought would be perfect. Limed, salted, and peppered half the glass, poured in the shot and topped with a cooked shrimp and a celery stick. These were a huge hit and I had no problem getting rid of them!
I make ham and tortilla rolls quite often for parties because they can be make a day ahead of time and everyone loves them. For this party I made some Mexican tortilla rolls (cream cheese, sour cream, taco seasoning, cheddar cheese, diced green chilis, black olives, finely diced red bell pepper, and a few splashes of hot sauce. Ham rolls were spread with cream cheese mixed with diced black olives and either rolled around a green onion or dill pickle spear. The key is to roll tightly and chill before slicing.


 Jalapeno Popper Dip is always a crowd pleaser. Made the day before and baked right before the party. I like to nuke it a minute or so every once in awhile to keep it hot. (2 pkg. cream cheese, 1 cup mayo, small can diced green chilis, 1/2 can diced jalapeno, 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese inside, and more on top).



This was a bit of an experiment but it got rave reviews. Spinach leaves (2) wrapped around a half of a strawberry. I then pushed a skewer through to hold it together and topped with a sprinkling of feta cheese, candied pecans and a drizzle of Panera's balsamic vinaigrette from Target (which is the bomb!).


I've made these tri-tip sliders for the last 4 parties I have done and everyone seems to love them. I BBQ the tri-tip the day before than sliced thin the morning of the party. To put them together I toast the dinner rolls, top with Gorgonzola cheese, tri-tip, caramelized onions, spring mix, a drizzle of a balsamic reduction, then speared. I did nuke the meat just to warm it before assembling them. Always a hit. 

I also put together a cheese and cracker tray and a vegetable platter with a dill dip. I think everyone's tummies were happy and a good time was had by all!

No comments:

Post a Comment