Sunday, July 6, 2014

Meat Pie

I grew up eating and loving Meat Pie. Still to this day it is one of my favorite comfort foods of all time. My mother found this recipe on the back of the Minute Rice box back in the 70's. Its original name from the box was Country Pie. Now, don't say you don't like Minute Rice, because personally I don't like it at all, but in this recipe it is super good! This is one of those recipes that I just get a craving for every few months. Since I only cook for myself this freezes very well too. I just cut into dinner size slices, wrap each slice into plastic wrap then place them all in a large Ziplock bag. I just add a bit of water to the bowl when I reheat it in the microwave to keep it moist. I hope you give it a try, I have made it for a few friends over the years and they now make it for their families as well.  Here is the recipe:


Note: I prefer using a ground beef with at least 15% fat content as I think the meat is much moister. If you do use a higher fat content meat you will need to drain some of the fat before adding the cheese topping. You can do this either by carefully pouring into a container or like I do, set the pie dish on the counter on a angle (set your oven mitt under one side). Use a spoon, pull the meat from the side of the dish (as shown in the picture) and using your turkey baster, pull the fat from the dish. 



No comments:

Post a Comment